Wednesday, July 25, 2007

SQL Server 2005, Visual Studio 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 SP1

If you have installed both SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 then probably both of the following will be installed:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Premier Partner Edition - ENU
Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 X Edition - ENU

Sure it's untidy that the VS2005 X install doesn't detect and replace Premier, but it hasn't caused any problems (so far). If you're like me, you haven't dared remove Premier because you're worried about regression, and probably you just use X because it is a superset of Premier anyway.

However now it's time to put Visual Studio 2005 SP1 on. What's it going to do?

It asked me if I want to install on Premier. But I don't use Premier! Oh no, it's chosen the wrong one! I cancelled the installation and to my surprise it then asked if I wanted to install on X? Phew! But now I'm not sure if I need to install on Premier also. Considering it's supposed to take a minimum of 90 minutes, do I really want to sit through that twice?

I decided to install only on X, and hit a "digital signature check" error. This post describes the fix for a software stack that's very similar to mine.

No comments: