Thursday, January 24, 2008

OWB - External Table to Dimension

I have a dev OWB 10g R2 environment into which I want to load up some reference dimensions from production. I don't have a connection to production so I thought I could load the dimensions as files since they are small. However they have a large number of attributes that I wanted to avoid rekeying if I possibly can.

Consequently I was looking for a way to load the dimensions from files with no transformation and minimum effort.

The following approaches don't work:
  • Create the file location, create the external table using the import option and create the dimension using the import option. What appears to be a dimension import is actually a reimport of the external table.
  • Create the file location, create the external table using the import option and create a mapping to generate the dimension operator. Unbound dimension operators aren't allowed in the mapping.
It looks like I wasn't going to be able to avoid rekeying the huge numbers of attributes until I discovered the Create Dimension expert, a free unsupported wizard that can be added to the OWB IDE.

No comments: