Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Wherescape Red and data repositories

I wanted to create a separate data repository from WslWarehouse (which is full of metadata), so I created a new SQL Server database instance called Test_Warehouse on the same server.

I had to create a system DSN called Test_Warehouse pointing to this instance. I don't see the need for this step. Red supports SQL Server in theory which means that I should be able to specify the server, database and credentials somewhere.

Then in Red I right-clicked Connections, selected New Object and specified properties as follows:

Name of object: Test_Warehouse
Connection Method: IP
ODBC Source: Test_Warehouse
(No need for credentials as I specified Windows Authentication in the DSN)

The next step is to get the load table to create itself in Test_Warehouse. I thought that Change Connect/Schema would do the trick but it made no difference. After much messing around and consulting help files I still didn't figure out how to do it. So it's back to mingling meta and data...

No comments: